Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rug of the week Part 1


This wonderful Kurdish rug just came in, its enormous (13 ft 2 in. x 5 ft. 2in.) and wonderfully tribal. Kurdish tribes in Iran are located in the north in both western and eastern parts of the country. Originally, they made multiple use carpets for everyday household purposes, and were not for commercial sale. They are very strong rugs and are used mostly in high-traffic areas. Kurdish carpets commonly have hexagonal medallion designs, and are multi-colored. I haven't put this one on the web-site yet, as I'd love to find a place for it in my house, but its rather imposing size leaves me very few options. There is something about this one that really makes me wish I could meet the weavers - the uniqueness of this piece makes it truly a work of art

1 comment: